Having stuck one foot into the water, we were pleasantly surprised at the demand we found for the Hand and Nail Butter I made this Christmas season! Thus, we are taking a small plunge. 🙂 We are planning on increasing our homemade cosmetic line, and in this post, I will be describing some of the products I hope to create. Don’t hold me to anything. 🙂 Because in this business, you experiment, work, advertise, and finally come up with the end result! It’s a process. 🙂 That is what I have found. Some of the things we have learned:
- Highest demand is local. Only a few people are willing to pay $5.00 shipping for a $10.00 product. Especially when that product is ½ cup. 🙂
- Don’t think, lanolin is expensive! I’ll just skip it. Each ingredient is important to the end result.
- Pick and choose ingredients to find the most value for the best price. Vanilla essential oil is very expensive. I found that in order to put enough into the Hand and Nail Butter to make a difference in the scent (cocoa butter is hard to mask!), I would need to raise the price a dollar. Not worth it. Cocoa scent is delightful on it’s own!
- Hand out samples. One young lady who tried it out at my house and bought some for her mother for Christmas, told me that her hands still felt soft the next day. 🙂 Maybe your imagination, but maybe not! The product quality will sell itself.
So! There are a few things I can guarantee.
- Honesty and Transparency. I will reveal every ingredient to you, and use only high quality products. If I change the recipe, I will tell you why. If you want to make it yourself, I will give you the blueprint! I am all for improving the world…in any way. 🙂
- If we see that we are not making enough profit to be worth our time, we will raise the price. 🙂
- I will need some warning if you want certain lotions, because they are not highly processed and don’t include preservatives and don’t last forever. Thus, in order to bring you a fresh product, I will need a day or two advance notice. I will, however, keep some on hand of every item as samples for you to try.
Now, I will give you a small run-down of some of what I hope to create. Subject to change!
Cocoa Nut Hand & Nail Butter
Blue Olive and Chamomile Body Cream
Chamomile Essential Oil
Peppermint Velvet Lip Balm
Peppermint Essential Oil
High Gloss Peppermint Lip Balm
Peppermint Essential Oil
I made a bit of lip balm with honey. The result was delicious! It was fun to have something that tasted sweet if you happened to lick your lips. 🙂 And it stayed on your lips…didn’t just melt off. But my problem is that honey doesn’t emulsify well. You need to stir it as it cools, which won’t work for my Lip Balm line because I plan to pour it into the traditional tubes. So I want to try lanolin. 🙂 Anyone know how to get the honey to mix permanently? Also, anyone think there would be a demand for Chocolate Lip Balm? 🙂 I am increasingly disturbed at the lip balm that we have been using for years. The possibility of petroleum jelly disturbs me! You actually ingest pounds of whatever you put on your lips in your lifetime. How about a meal of natural gas?
Lanolin is amazing stuff. Don’t let this gross you out, but it is derived from the sebaceous glands of sheep and is secreted into their wool as a protective agent against cold and dampness. It makes a fantastic moisturizer because it is similar to the natural oil in human skin. It greatly improves creams and stabilizes those of water and oil blends. Lanolin is occasionally called wool wax. It is 100% natural and an amazing ingredient in our new line of cosmetics.
Speaking of water and oil blends, I am reminded how earlier in the month, I spoke of the commercial lotions whose first ingredient is usually water. While studying my Organic Body Care Recipes book, (many of my recipes and what I have learned come from this book) I was surprised to see that with the body creams, water was a key ingredient! And so I take back my uneducated comment of earlier. 🙂 With the Hand and Nail Butter, there is no water. Every ingredient is rich and expensive. 🙂 No wonder it leaves you feeling like royalty!
I want to try making the Blue Olive and Chamomile Body Cream. Ironically, the Butters are much easier to make than the Creams! This is because you have water in the creams, and you need to blend the oils with water and hope and pray that it will emulsify well and remain mixed. So while the ingredients of the Creams are less in cost, the labor will make up for it. I’m excited about trying it!
In time, we hope to add other products. And then, there is always the possibility of our venture folding. 🙂 Especially as our future is very, very unknown at this point. Finding a local demand is the key to success. Amazon is not the answer to every problem! But this is the beginning…the sticking of both feet into the water. And it’s fun. 🙂
And to those of you who are wondering what in the world a mother of three toddlers is doing, making cosmetics to sell…I’ll tell you my secret. It’s my hobby. It energizes me. And…last, but not least, a lot of things I do simply don’t make sense. 🙂
Coming soon! A brand of cosmetics called…